ICP Etching Recipes
Back to Dry Etching Recipes.
High Rate Bosch Etch (DSEIII)
Single-Step Low Etch Rate Smooth Sidewall Process (DSEIII)
Bosch and Release Etch (Si Deep RIE)
- Bosch and Release Processes
- Ideal for deep (>>1µm), vertical etching of Silicon. Through-wafer etches are possible (requires carrier wafer).
- Etch rate depends on area of exposed silicon being etched.
- Al2O3 mask (ALD or Sputter) has >9000:1 selectivity
- SiO2 (PECVD) mask has ~100:1 selectivity
- Thermal SiO2 has ~300:1 selectivity.
Single-step Si Etching (not Bosch Process!) (Si Deep RIE)
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 1)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe Parameters - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Etch rate ≈ 2300Å/min (users must calibrate)
- Selectivity (SiO2:Photoresist) ≈ greater than 1:1 (users must calibrate)
- SiO2 CHF3 Etch Variations
- CF4/CHF4/O2 "NanoEtch" (TBA)
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 1)
Al Etch (Panasonic 1)
Cr Etch (Panasonic 1)
Ti Etch (Panasonic 1)
W-TiW Etch (Panasonic 1)
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Panasonic 1)
- GaAs-Nanoscale Etch Recipe - PR mask - Cl2-BCl3-Ar
- AlGaAs Etch Recipes - Cl2N2
- GaAs DRIE via Etch Recipes - Cl2-BCl3-Ar PR passivation
GaN Etch (Panasonic 1)
SiC Etch (Panasonic 1)
Sapphire Etch (Panasonic 1)
Recipes starting points for materials without processes listed can be obtained from Panasonic1 recipe files. The chambers are slightly different, but essentially the same, requiring only small program changes to obtain similar results.
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 2)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Direct copy of "SiOVert" from ICP#1, see parameters there.
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe#2 - CF4/CHF3
- SiO2 Nanoscale Etch Recipe - CHF3/O2
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 2)
Al Etch (Panasonic 2)
Al2O3 Etching (Panasonic 2)
ALD Al2O3 Etch Rates in BCl3 Chemistry (click for plots of etch rate)
Contributed by Brian Markman, 2018
- BCl3 = 30sccm
- Pressure = 0.50 Pa
- ICP Source RF = 500
- Bias RF = 50W or 250W (250W can burn PR)
- Cooling He Flow/Pressure = 15.0 sccm / 400 Pa
- Etch Rate 50W: 0.66nm/sec
- Etch Rate 250W: 1.0 nm/sec
GaAs Etch (Panasonic 2)
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
InP-InGaAs-InAlAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
- InP Etch Recipe (Cl2N2Ar 200C)
- InP-based Material Etch Profile (Cl2N2Ar200C)
- Unaxis InP Etch Recipe (Cl2H2 Ar 200C) Parameters
- InP-InGaAs Etch Profile (Cl2H2 Ar 200C)
- InGaAs-InAlAs Etch Issure (Cl2H2 Ar 200C)
- InP Etch (Cl2H2Ar 200C)2-17-2016
- InP Etch (Cl2H2Ar 200C) Start on 6-3-2016
- Lower etch-rate InP Etch (Cl2N2 200C)