ICP Etching Recipes
Back to Dry Etching Recipes.
High Rate Bosch Etch (DSEIII)
Single-Step Low Etch Rate Smooth Sidewall Process (DSEIII)
- SiVertHF - Si Vertical Etch using C4F8/SF6/CF4 and resist mask
- Etch Rates: Si ≈ 300-350 nm/min; SiO2 ≈ 30-35 nm/min
- 89-90 degree etch angle, ie, vertical.
- Recipes available, to be characterized/added.
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 1)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe Parameters - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Etch rate ≈ 2300Å/min (users must calibrate)
- Selectivity (SiO2:Photoresist) ≈ greater than 1:1 (users must calibrate)
- SiO2 CHF3 Etch Variations
Historical Data (SiO2, Panasonic 1)
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 1)
Al Etch (Panasonic 1)
Cr Etch (Panasonic 1)
Ta Etch (Panasonic 1)
- Ta Etch Recipe - Cl2/BCl3
Ti Etch (Panasonic 1)
- Ti Deep Etch Recipes - Cl2Ar
W-TiW Etch (Panasonic 1)
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Panasonic 1)
- GaAs-Nanoscale Etch Recipe - PR mask - Cl2-BCl3-Ar
- AlGaAs Etch Recipes - Cl2N2
- GaAs DRIE via Etch Recipes - Cl2-BCl3-Ar PR passivation
GaN Etch (Panasonic 1)
Photoresist and ARC Etching
Please see the recipes for Panasonic ICP#2 - the same recipes apply.
Etching of DUV42P at standard spin/bake parameters also completes in 45 seconds.
SiC Etch (Panasonic 1)
Sapphire Etch (Panasonic 1)
Old Deleted Recipes
Since there are a limited number of recipe slots on the tool, we occasionally have to delete old, unused recipes.
If you need to free up a recipe slot, please contact Don and he'll help you find an old recipe to replace. We take photographs of old recipes, and save them in case a group needs to revive the recipe. Contact us if your old recipe went missing.
Recipes starting points for materials without processes listed can be obtained from Panasonic1 recipe files. The chambers are slightly different, but essentially the same, requiring only small program changes to obtain similar results.
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 2)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Direct copy of "SiOVert" from ICP#1, see parameters there.
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe#2 - CF4/CHF3
- SiO2 Nanoscale Etch Recipe - CHF3/O2
Historical Data (SiO2 Etch, Panasonic 2)
Use these to determine how each etch parameter affects the process.
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 2)
Al Etch (Panasonic 2)
Al2O3 Etching (Panasonic 2)
ALD Al2O3 Etch Rates in BCl3 Chemistry (click for plots of etch rate)
Contributed by Brian Markman, 2018
- BCl3 = 30sccm
- Pressure = 0.50 Pa
- ICP Source RF = 500
- Bias RF = 50W or 250W (250W can burn PR)
- Cooling He Flow/Pressure = 15.0 sccm / 400 Pa
- Etch Rate 50W: 0.66nm/sec
- Etch Rate 250W: 1.0 nm/sec
GaAs Etch (Panasonic 2)
Photoresist and ARC etching
Basic recipes for etching photoresist and Bottom Anti-Reflection Coating (BARC) underlayers are as follows:
ARC Etching: DUV-42P or AR6
- O2 = 40 sccm // 0.5 Pa
- ICP = 75W // RF = 75W
- 45 sec for full etching of DUV-42P (same for AR6)
Works very well for photoresist stripping
- O2 = 40 sccm // 1.0 Pa
- ICP = 350W // RF = 100W
- Etch Rate = 518.5nm / 1min
- 2m30sec to fully remove with ~200% overetch
Ru (Ruthenium) Etch (Panasonic 2)
TALK TO BILL BEFORE PUBLISHING WORK USING THIS ETCH. We are currently writing a paper on this etch.
- Ru Etch - Bill Mitchell 2019-09-19
- BillM is currently writing a publication on this etch - please discuss with Bill before submitting any publications using this etch.
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
InP-InGaAs-InAlAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
- InP-based Material Etch Profile (Cl2N2Ar200C)
- InP-InGaAs Etch Profile (Cl2H2Ar 200C)
- Recipe of Etching SiO2 Mask for Cl2 Etch (ICP#2)
- InP Etch Historical Data (Cl2H2Ar 200C)
- InP Etch Test
- Lower etch-rate InP Etch (Cl2N2 200C)
GaN Etch (Unaxis VLR)
GaSb Etch (Unaxis VLR)
This tool does not exist in this configuration any more, so these recipes are for Reference purposes Only!!! The machine was upgraded to be the new Plasma-Therm Fluorine ICP Etcher - the chamber configuration is now different, making these recipes invalid. For Deep Silicon Etching, the Plasma-Therm DSE-iii is often used. Some single-step Silicon etching is still performed on the SLR Fluorine ICP, due to the slower etch rate.
Bosch and Release Etch (Si Deep RIE)
- Bosch and Release Processes
- Ideal for deep (>>1µm), vertical etching of Silicon. Through-wafer etches are possible (requires carrier wafer).
- Etch rate depends on area of exposed silicon being etched.
- Al2O3 mask (ALD or Sputter) has >9000:1 selectivity
- SiO2 (PECVD) mask has ~100:1 selectivity
- Thermal SiO2 has ~300:1 selectivity.