This tool has been decommissioned and removed from the lab, as of 2018-10-09. Information on this page is for reference/historical purposes only.
This ellipsometer is a single wavelength (632.8 nm) system for characterization of thin films. The system can determine complex index of refraction constants of substrates (k and n) and can determine the thickness and real part of the index of refraction for thin films on substrates with known optical parameters. The thickness can be measured down to 10s of Angstroms and has an accuracy of about 10A on thickness and 0.01 on index of refraction for SiO2 on Silicon. Thicker films can also be measured.
- Measure single film thickness and index or double film thicknesses
- 15 second single film measuring time
- 632.8 nm wavelength
- 70 degree fixed angle for laser
- ~ 10A thickness and 0.01 index resolution for SiO2 on Si
- Can measure bulk optical properties of substrates (k and n)