Profilm3D - Quick Start - Surface Roughness Measurement (PSI Mode)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
THIS TOOL IS CURRENTLY UNAVAILABLE. Please see the Olympus LEXT Confocal Microscope for similar capabilities.
- Turn objective to 10x
- Select Recipe - PSI Roughness or WLI Step Height (re-selecting reloads defaults, removing the <unsaved> label)
- If it asks you to rotate the objective, click "Update Recipe" to keep it on the current Objective
- Move stage to (–50, +50)
- Load sample. Ensure objective height is well above the sample.
- Move stage to (0,0), watch to make sure it doesn't crash. Or to edge of sample for focus ease.
- Bring objective down to ~7.5mm distance between objective and sample ("working distance"), until can see some features. Watch stage/sample carefully and make sure you don't crash! See distances for each objective here.
- Check "Auto Exposure" & click "Lock Peak" & "Reset Lock" - will automatically adjust exposure to maximum fringe intensity.
- Set Intensity to maximum. If illumination is bad, Uncheck/Recheck the "Autoexposure" checkbox - should fix it.
- Get Sample in focus with fine-focus, should see interference fringes (black/white stripes)
- For 10x objective, If can see a feature is somewhat in focus, the AutoFocus button can get the interference fringes on the screen.
- Maximize Interference fringes with Fine-Focus adjustment.
- Change to 50x if desired, readjust focus (Click Z: “reset zero” before switching to 50x, setting Z focus current position to 0.0mm. 50x focus is then -0.060mm below 10x focus. )
- Adjust Right Tilt Knob until interference fringes are horizontal. If observation location is very far away from center of stage, then focus will change a lot while you adjust tilt. Iteratively adjust tilt and focus to get interference fringes back on screen. If on 10x, the Autofocus button can bring interference fringes back. (Only calibrated for 10x objective.)
- Adjust Front Tilt Knob to get only one or 2 black lines on the screen, oriented horizontally.
- Iteratively adjust tilt and fine-focus to keep fringes visible.
- Set the "Zoom" dropbox if desired - this does increase real resolution.
- Click "Start" on the screen. When it is done, it will automatically open a new Tab with the scan result.
There are many options to analyze your scan.
Much of the analysis can be performed online at ProfilmOnline.com, outside the lab, or shared via the interactive Web App.
To analyze offline:
- Rename your measurement's tab by right-clicking the tab, and optionally Save the file locally with a descriptive name.
- Click "Upload to ProfilmOnline",
- type in your credentials from ProfilmOnline.com (do not "Remember Credentials"), and then the file will show up in your ProfilmOnline.com account. Be sure to log out when you are done by clicking the username in the top-right.
Typical analysis may be done as follows:
Level the Scan
- Click the Analysis mode [Level], place the three circles on the same plane and click [OK]
Height / Depth
- Click the Analysis mode [Step Height]. Instructions are shown on the Right Sidebar.
- Choose the [Line] tab and select orientation.
- On the "Top View", drag the ends of the line to show the profile you which to measure.
- Click [Go to Step 2].
- Drag the Leveling cursors on the "Line Profile" to two surface of nominally the same height.
- Click [Apply Leveling & Go to Step 3].
- Drag cursors to measurement step.
- Click [Options] and alter any options, such as the two heights being dissimilar materials. IMPORTANT for dissimilar materials! This affects the calculated step height.
- Click [Finish] to see the measurement height.
|To Do: Verify Roughness vs. AFM, describe repeatable procedure|
- For PSI mode, "Area Roughness" gives roughness statistics
- Crop allows you to cut out bad regions or defects/spikes. Run "Fill In Invalids" afterwards with default params (Interpolate & Entire image) to fill in the missing data.