See below for information of getting your students/employees into the NanoFab.
UCSB Affiliates and Industry
To gain access to the lab and perform the work yourself requires the following eight steps:
1. Submit a Detailed project description (download) to [D. John & Brian Thibeault]
2. Nanofab staff acceptance
3. Provide a General Liability Insurance Certificate:
Commercial Form General Liability:
- Combined Single Limit per Occurrence $1,000,000
- General Aggregate, Bodily Injury, Property Damage $2,000,000
The Regents of the University of California must be named as an additional insured.
The CERTIFICATE HOLDER shall be identified as follows:
The Regents of the University of California
Contracts & Property Office
SAASB Bldg., Rm. 3203
University of California
Santa Barbara, CA 93106-2095
An example certificate is attached. Your certificate should have the same basic format and information as shown.
The certificate should be emailed to []
4. Provide Proof of Workers’ Compensation Insurance or equivalent coverage. This is required under California state law
If the required certificate of insurance is not received and approved prior to the Facility User's intended use of facility,
Facility User shall not be allowed to use University facilities.
5. UCSB Blanket Liability Waiver signed by all actual lab users (attached form)
6. UCSB Facility Use Agreement signed by an official company signatory (attached form)
7. UCSB EH&S online safety course
8. UCSB Nanofab orientation/training by the lab manager with review of the lab policy which can be found at
Other U.C. Campuses
To gain access to the lab and perform the work yourself requires the following five steps:
1) Submit a Detailed project description (download) to [D. John & Brian Thibeault]
2) Nanofab staff acceptance
3) Signed Facilities Use Memorandum of Understanding Inter UC Campus Use (attached form)
4) UCSB EH&S online safety course
5) UCSB Nanofab orientation/training by the lab manager with review of the lab policy which can be found at https://signupmonkey.ece.ucsb.edu/wiki/index.php/Lab_Rules
The Nanofab orientation is the last step before gaining access to the lab after all the paperwork is in order. Please fill out the attached questionnaire and email back to me. The orientation takes between 1-2 hours and is scheduled based on new user demand. The orientation will explain actual lab use, equipment scheduling and trainings, discuss safety policy, enter users into the access system, tour the gowning room area and explain any questions about lab or tool use. Please feel free to call or email to discuss in more detail.
Non-U.C. Academic Institutions