ICP Etching Recipes
Back to Dry Etching Recipes.
High Rate Bosch Etch (DSEIII)
Single-Step Low Etch Rate Smooth Sidewall Process (DSEIII)
Bosch and Release Etch (Si Deep RIE)
- Bosch and Release Processes
- Ideal for deep (>>1µm), vertical etching of Silicon. Through-wafer etches are possible (requires carrier wafer).
- Etch rate depends on area of exposed silicon being etched.
- Al2O3 mask (ALD or Sputter) has >9000:1 selectivity
- SiO2 (PECVD) mask has ~100:1 selectivity
- Thermal SiO2 has ~300:1 selectivity.
Single-step Si Etching (not Bosch Process!) (Si Deep RIE)
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 1)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe Parameters - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Etch rate ≈ 2300Å/min (users must calibrate)
- Selectivity (SiO2:Photoresist) ≈ greater than 1:1 (users must calibrate)
- SiO2 CHF3 Etch Variations
- CF4/CHF4/O2 "NanoEtch" (TBA)
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 1)
Al Etch (Panasonic 1)
Cr Etch (Panasonic 1)
Ti Etch (Panasonic 1)
- Ti Deep Etch Recipes - Cl2Ar
W-TiW Etch (Panasonic 1)
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Panasonic 1)
- GaAs-Nanoscale Etch Recipe - PR mask - Cl2-BCl3-Ar
- AlGaAs Etch Recipes - Cl2N2
- GaAs DRIE via Etch Recipes - Cl2-BCl3-Ar PR passivation
GaN Etch (Panasonic 1)
SiC Etch (Panasonic 1)
Sapphire Etch (Panasonic 1)
Old Deleted Recipes
Since there are a limited number of recipe slots on the tool, we occasionally have to delete old, unused recipes.
If you need to free up a recipe slot, please contact Don and he'll help you find an old recipe to replace. We take photographs of old recipes, and save them in case a group needs to revive the recipe. Contact us if your old recipe went missing.
Recipes starting points for materials without processes listed can be obtained from Panasonic1 recipe files. The chambers are slightly different, but essentially the same, requiring only small program changes to obtain similar results.
SiO2 Etching (Panasonic 2)
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe - CHF3 "SiOVert"
- Direct copy of "SiOVert" from ICP#1, see parameters there.
- SiO2 Vertical Etch Recipe#2 - CF4/CHF3
- SiO2 Nanoscale Etch Recipe - CHF3/O2
- Angled SiO2 sidewall recipe
SiNx Etching (Panasonic 2)
Al Etch (Panasonic 2)
Al2O3 Etching (Panasonic 2)
ALD Al2O3 Etch Rates in BCl3 Chemistry (click for plots of etch rate)
Contributed by Brian Markman, 2018
- BCl3 = 30sccm
- Pressure = 0.50 Pa
- ICP Source RF = 500
- Bias RF = 50W or 250W (250W can burn PR)
- Cooling He Flow/Pressure = 15.0 sccm / 400 Pa
- Etch Rate 50W: 0.66nm/sec
- Etch Rate 250W: 1.0 nm/sec
GaAs Etch (Panasonic 2)
Photoresist and ARC etching
Basic recipes for etching photoresist and Anti-Reflection Coating (ARC) underlayers are as follows:
ARC Etching: DUV-42P or AR6
- O2 = 40 sccm // 0.5 Pa
- ICP = 75W // RF = 75W
- 45 sec for full etching of DUV-42P (same for AR6)
Works very well for photoresist stripping
- O2 = 40 sccm // 1.0 Pa
- ICP = 350W // RF = 100W
- Etch Rate = 518.5nm / 1min
- 2m30sec to fully remove with ~50% overetch
GaAs-AlGaAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
InP-InGaAs-InAlAs Etch (Unaxis VLR)
- InP-based Material Etch Profile (Cl2N2Ar200C)
- InP-InGaAs Etch Profile (Cl2H2Ar 200C)
- Recipe of Etching SiO2 Mask for Cl2 Etch(ICP#2)
- InP Etch Historical Data (Cl2H2Ar 200C)
- InP Etch Test
- Lower etch-rate InP Etch (Cl2N2 200C)