Focused Ion-Beam Lithography (Raith Velion)
Work In Progress
This article is still under construction. It may contain factual errors. Content is subject to change.
VELION is a novel FIB-SEM instrument dedicated to advanced nanofabrication, in which FIB is the true priority technique. An evolution of Raith’s ionLINE, the ion column at the vertical position features a unique design to meet the most demanding nanofabrication requirements. It is supported by a field emission SEM solution as well as a highest-precision laser interferometer-controlled sample stage.
With its FIB-prioritized nanofabrication setup, including SEM and a high-accuracy stage, VELION allows for versatile use in four different operation modes that offer
• direct and versatile FIB patterning for simplified, flexible, 3D, and automated processing
• highest-precision nanofabrication over extended areas and periods of time with both FIB and SEM
• SEM imaging for in-situ process control, inspection and sample preparation.
The Raith Velion ion beam tool was installed at UCSB in 2020 and signed off and avaiable for. use in early 2021.
- Liquid Metal Alloy Ion Sources (LMAIS) providing ions for Gallium-free patterning (Au, Si)
- High resolution patterning capabilities (minimum feature size < 15nm)
- Fully corrected write fields (distortion, stigmation)
- Long term current stability (days)
Laser Interferometer stage:
- Mechanical movement at 1nm precision
- Continuous stage modes for stitch free FIB patterning on full 4”wafer scale
- Stitching and overlay accuracy: < 50 nm ( mean+3 sigma)
- Process control for rapid prototyping
- Automated height sensing to detect sample surface height variation for automated correction
- Pt Gas Iinjection System (GIS) deposition
- Raith Nanosuite software incl. CAD (GDSII) navigation & patterning
- Recipes > Lithography > FIB Lithography
- Contains starting recipes etc.