E-Beam 1 (Sharon)
The Sharon is a cryo-pumped thin film evaporator with a Temescal four hearth 270° bent beam evaporation source. The system incorporates a Commonwealth Scientific Corp. ion source for in-situ sample cleaning. Fixturing in the Sharon will accept any size sample up to 3.5-inch diameter. In addition, a rotation fixture is easily installed which permits adjustable angle, 360° variable speed rotation of any size sample, up to 1.5-inch diameter. This feature is particularly useful for promoting step coverage of irregular surfaces.
The Sharon is used for the evaporation of high purity metals, e.a. Al, Au, Ni, Ge, AuGe, Ti, Pt etc., for interconnect and ohmic contact metalization for fabrication of III-V compound semiconductor and silicon device fabrication.
For the materials tables, please visit the E-Beam Recipe Page.
- Cryopump: CTI Cryotorr 8F with air-cooled compressor
- Pumping speed: 4,000 l/sec. for H2O, 1,500 l/sec. for air, 2,200 l/sec. for H2, 200 l/sec. for Ar
- Mechanical Pump: Varian, Model SD700, 35 CFM
- Electron Beam Source: Temescal, Model STIH-270-2MB, four 15 cc hearths
- Electron Beam Power Supply: Temescal, Model CV8A-111, -5 to -10 kV dc, 0.8A dc max. beam current; XYS-8 Sweep Control
- Deposition Control: Inficon IC 6000, 6 film programs; 37 parameters for automatic or manual deposition control based on a resonating quartz crystal sensor
- Ion Source: Commonwealth Scientific Corp., MOD. 2. Kaufman-type, 3cm ion source; beam currents to 100mA at 1000eV
- [[media:|Operating Instructions]]